The technology within the dental industry has come a very long way, and the materials used to fill cavities is at the front lines of that advancement. There are plenty of people out there that are still rocking their silver fillings with pride and gratefulness that a cavity has been “taken care of” by a dental professional. Their toothaches are gone, decay has been stopped in its tracks, and teeth have been saved by the wonderment of metal fillings.
However, times have changed, people have evolved, and our office specifically has made the move away from metal fillings, and we have some compelling reasons for the change. Here is a look at the evolution of fillings and why we choose to steer clear of any unnecessary metal fillings as a part of how we help our patients have a healthy mouth.
Let’s take a look at the threat that mercury, found within amalgam (metal fillings), has on our bodies:
- Mercury is the most poisonous, non-radioactive, naturally occurring substance on the planet
- There is a zero tolerance rule that our bodies have when it comes to mercury within the human body
- Mercury is a neurotoxin, which makes it extremely surprising that we would ever choose to have it placed within our bodies so close to the brain
- Amalgam releases mercury vapors into the body and no matter how big or small that amount may be, even a very small amount can be harmful. These vapors are often released each time you chew
There have been studies done that have shown a great number of diseases and symptoms related to the toxic vapors that come from amalgam fillings, such as:
- Birth Defects
Not to fret. If you already have silver fillings, and have been living your life without any side effects, the odds are that you are right as rain. However, if you feel the need to dispose of this potential threat within your mouth, we can safely replace those fillings with less threatening, more stable, and more natural-looking materials.
Here are a few of the reasons why we choose to use metal-free dental fillings:
- Long-lasting restoration – silver fillings can expand and contract when exposed to extreme hot or cold. This makes your favorite ice cream a threat to the life of your fillings
- Zero allergic reaction risk – This one may be a bit of a stretch because the allergic reaction to amalgam fillings is rare, but rare is much worse than having no reaction at all. Some have experienced rashes, itching, and skin allergies due to their metal fillings
- Higher-quality strength – Non-metal fillings bond with the tooth and provide a level of stability that metal fillings just cannot match
- Health benefits – This takes us back to the threat of mercury within metal fillings. Natural-colored tooth fillings are free and clear of this threat to the body
- Cosmetically appealing – Tooth-colored fillings blend perfectly with your natural tooth, so you can laugh whole-heartedly knowing that your fillings won’t show
If you are in need of a filling for any reason, whether it be for a cavity that is currently bothering you with pain or if you are interested in replacing troublesome metal fillings, our office is here to help. If you have any questions about why we choose to stay away from metal fillings or need information about any other dental treatments our friendly and knowledgeable staff is here to give you all the answers you seek. Contact us today and start your “metal free” life with our help.